It’s that time of year again when everyone sets new goals. Unfortunately, most people don’t succeed in reaching their goals. One big factor in determining success or failure lies in lack of accountability and a lack of clarity. This is especially true for a fitness-related goal that can get tough when you’re in it alone.
Here’s some ideas to help you succeed with your fitness goals this year:
- Find a person or a group who shares the same goal:Whether your goal is to complete a 5K, drop 15 pounds or sign up for a Powerlifting competition, it’s so much easier to stick with it when you have a partner. Being around like-minded people, or those who have done it before, makes the process of creating a new habit much less daunting.
- Be Specific: Often people tell me that they want to “get in better shape.” But what does that really mean? It can vary from person to person, so be clear on what it means for you. Does that mean fitting into that pair of jeans that you haven’t worn in years? Or does it mean being able to walk a flight of stairs without being winded? Maybe, for you, it does mean having a 6-pack. Whatever it is, make sure you define your goal clearly.
- Get a Plan: So now that you’ve set a specific goal and found an accountability partner, it’s time to ask yourself how are you going to achieve it? Break the goal into smaller mini-goals along the way. So, instead of saying you want to go from the couch to a 5K, maybe set a goal to run to the end of your driveway or run 1-minute and then walk 1-minute. Small milestones along the way are important so that it’s easy to see that you’re making progress.
- Commit and Set a Deadline: Make your goal official by signing up and committing to something. Sign up for that 5K or gym membership now, not later. Having a set start and/or finish dates makes the goal more tangible.
- BONUS TIP – Get a coach: I remember when I used to go to the gym years ago…and had zero clue what I was doing! It wasn’t until I got a coach that I started making improvements. My first “coach” was through at-home exercise DVDs, then online running plans, and finally group CrossFit coaches. Find what works for you and be willing to learn. Your results will skyrocket!
At Battleship CF, we have a group of like-minded people who are motivating and friendly. While they come from different backgrounds and have different goals, at the end of the day, we all want to feel better and be healthy for the long-haul. If you want to join us, schedule your free intro here.
If CrossFit isn’t your thing, or maybe isn’t your thing, yet, that’s okay too. Find what you like and DO THAT! The most important part of getting the results you want is finding something that you can be consistent with.
Best of luck in your 2020 fitness resolutions!